geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let us please use a JIRA for every code change we make
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:47:27 GMT

On Sep 19, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> There are always small changes that are not directly tied to a
> specific JIRA issue.  My point is that by making it a requirement
> to have a JIRA issue that people will end up creating more issues
> than we really nee (or want).
>
> I have made a lot of small changes to the build which fit into this
> category.  Some clean up also fits into that category.  Say, adding
> or fixing javadocs, or adding TODO comments, etc... all things
> which probably don't have a JIRA issue and it would be a PITA to
> force folks to go an make one.  That is way to artificial and
> pointless.

I agree with Jason. There are instances (and Jason's mentioned a few)
where generating a Jira ends up producing noise to the community and
extra work for the developer, without delivering any additional
benefit to the community.

Prasad,
Perhaps you can be a little more explicit about the problem and we
can work our way to a solution?

I doubt that the types of changes referenced by Jason are the types
of changes that you're seeing a problem with... Perhaps you can
discuss the problem a bit more specifically? Are you seeing instances
where larger functional enhancements/commits aren't referencing Jira/
discussion?

I'm guessing that you are seeing commits for significant functional
enhancements for which a Jira was not created (and thus not
referenced in the commit message). If this is your issue, then I
think we can find a reasonable solution which the community will
agree with...

--kevan