geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Writing Readable Code
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:27:12 GMT

On Sep 18, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> I agree that readability is a huge factor in code quality and is a key
> to its survival.  But I tend to disagree that a commit should be
> rejected based on this criteria alone. IMHO the low bar for committing
> to trunk should be that it compiles, does no harm, and has undergone
> adequate discussion within the dev community.

I also agree it shouldn't be a gate to committing the code.  But for
the person who is looking at the code six months from now it might be
nice to have part of that discussion on the dev list condensed into
the code in the form of a comment.  At least that way people wouldn't
be forced to mine for information about a module through Google.

I also think rules in this area will be impossible to enforce and
will slow things down.  If there has to be discussion about something
in e-mail from a commit then perhaps that is an indication that the
code wasn't clear to begin with and might need a bit of clarification.