geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Release Early, Release Often
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:49:57 GMT
I am thinking about an 1.2-alpha release, which does not need to pass
any tck, but can still be downloaded by folks that want to test their
apps on the bleeding edge (with out having to build).  While there is
nothing major from a J2EE perspective in the alpha, a lot has
changed, or will change very shortly.  Here is a list with comments
of new and upcoming stuff:

ActiveMQ 4.1, is about to get committed.

Derby is about to get upgraded.

Log4j is about to get upgraded.

Use of concurrent util is about to get changed to backport-concurrent-
util.

Lets not forget that we changed the build system, which mostly
impacts development, but also has an impact on the configuration
files, and plugins... new CAR m2 plugin.  I think it would be really
good to get an alpha out so that people can easily test and provide
feedback.

New m2 plugin to start/stop Geronimo, soon to have new deploy goals.

A bunch of bug fixes.

  * * *

I think that by releasing a 1.2-alpha, that we also start down the
path of changing the perception of how quickly we release.  The alpha
can also serve to help us get some experience using the m2 release
plugin so that when it comes time for a non-alpha/beta release that
we have confidence in the procedure... and this will give us time to
make sure that we have the right configurations and setup to make a
release with relative ease.

Also, more of a side effect, by making a new release, it helps
control the JIRA roadmap, right now 1.2 is filled with a bunch of
build system related fluff and other bits...

I think that we have enough changes (or soon to change in the next
days or so) to warrant an alpha.  I don't see any reason why not
to... we don't need to spend days/weeks to ensure the TCK passes,
because we don't need to run it.  It should be sufficient to vote on
an alpha and then cut the release, which should be easy with the
maven release plugin, and even easier with my gpg-sign'ing mojo to
sign and upload all artifacts.

I believe that having this alpha out will benefit our community,
showing that we are going to start releasing more often, give people
a chance to provide feedback more often an earlier.

I certainly do not expect any production customers to use this, but I
do expect that app developers will, so they can ready their apps for
deployment on the platform.  We will clearly label this as an alpha
release, and clear state that it has not been TCK certified.

I don't see any downside to cutting a release off of trunk soonish,
in the next week or so.

--jason