geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ CNFE on CTRL-C
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:20:40 GMT

On Sep 13, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> We shouldn't use the ActiveMQ shutdown hook -- we'll shut it down
> gracefully during the Geronimo kernel shutdown process.  In a normal
> ActiveMQ config file you disable it with something like this:
> <broker useShutdownHook="false" ...>
> I haven't looked at our current ActiveMQ integration syntax but I
> assume we can set that same property on the broker object/GBean.

Right. The real issue is why the ActiveMQ shutdown hook is running. I
think the CNFE is occurring because the module has been stopped and
MultiParentClassLoader.destroy() has been called (thus no more
classes will be loaded...).

For G 1.0 and 1.1 we disabled the ActiveMQ shutdown hook with the
following in configs/activemq-broker/src/plan/plan.xml

     <gbean name="SystemProperties"
         <attribute name="systemProperties">

I see we're still setting the system property in the active mq plan.
So, either ActiveMQ 4 uses a different system property or there's a
different problem.

On the different problem track: a while back, we had a dependency
issue which allowed ActiveMQ to start before the SystemProperties
GBean had been started -- so, ActiveMQ wasn't seeing the above system
property. See

> Thanks,
>      Aaron
> On 9/12/06, Jason Dillon <> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this was the same error that was reported before...
>> but I am seeing a CNFE when shutting down jetty j2ee (`java -jar bin/
>> sever.jar --long`) with CTRL-C:
>> <snip>
>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/activemq/broker/
>> BrokerService$2$1
>>          at$2.stop
>> (
>>          at org.apache.activemq.util.ServiceStopper.stop
>> (
>>          at
>> (
>>          at
>> (
>>          at$
>> (
>> </snip>
>> This does not show up when using the shutdown command, or at least I
>> can't see it on the console when I use, but it does show
>> up w/CTRL-C.
>> Is the shutdown hook, not using the right classloader or something?
>> --jason

View raw message