geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Plugins project (Re: Where to develop plugins
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:13:04 GMT
> I would be happy to help, not take a lead ;-) I have a lot on my plate
> right now.
>
> I would like to see all of our components as plugins (not just
> directory, samples, console ,etc).  I think once everything is a plugin,
> the real value of Geronimo will begin to become evident.

For me, Jeff just hit the nail on the head. Remember that the Geronimo
kernel has no knowledge of J2EE. It was designed to be a bootstrap
kernel for any component (though I think that XBean is better suited
for the future) but IMO this was never fully realized due to the
shortcomings of CARs, but that is a different discussion.

If I had my druthers, all modules in Geronimo would be developed as
plugins. This would mean that there is no need for a plugins
subproject. There would, however, be a need for some external project
to house plugins that are not compatible with the Apache License and
this is where the original idea of plugins stalled for various
reasons.

If all modules, Apache License compatiable or not, were developed as
plugins, they would just drop in and run. That's the power I see in
Geronimo that hasn't yet been fully realized. But I think we're on the
way.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/