geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Swing console?
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:20:05 GMT
I am +1 on the general idea. For all its flaws, Swing/webstart is
great for that type of applications. I only suggest replacing
"instead of a webapp" with "as an alternative to a webapp", at least
until there is something usable to do a comparison.

Regarding the plugin engine to power it, we had a long discussion on
Cayenne list what engine to use for the next generation of our ORM
modeler tool. Our desire was to make it as easy and lightweight as
possible. We decided to stay away from heavier Eclipse, NetBeans and
OSGi engines in favor of a more lightweight environment. Our current
winner is Platonos [2] - the framework jar is only 64k, you can't
beat that.

I did some prototyping [1] of a Platonos/Swing engine, although
that's too raw yet. And I can certainly help on the engine side if
this idea gains traction.

Andrus

[1] http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2006/06/0026.html
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/platonos