geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: [CONF] Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base: Indice (page created)
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:07:33 GMT
My main concern would be that I'd never know if the docs were out of
date because I would't be able to read the page.

I'd be fine with (and happy to see) translations, if:
 * We take care to keep the pages for each language separate so a
reader doesn't wander back and forth
 * Every page says exactly what version of Geronimo it targets

We might also ask the author to include a link on the page to report
out-of-date content, but I'm not sure what we could really do with
that, since we may find it difficult to maintain ourselves.  In any
case, we might consider creating a standard page header block that
would capture key information like the version of Geronimo the page
was written for.

As foreign-language pages were written, it might be nice to ask the
authors to be on call as reviewers for other pages in that language,
so we had someone we could ask to review other pages for
foreign-language spam, etc.

Thanks,
     Aaron

> Shall we time how long the gap is when english docs are updated... and when the per-language
pages are translated?

> I think it is great to have so many cultures interested in G, and peeps willing to translate...
but I think that it is premature for our community at this time... and by trying to make it
multilingual from the start will only create more confusion, since I am almost positive the
docs will get out of sync quite quickly.

> And IMO... out of sync docs are very, very, very bad.  IMO we risk the possibility of
making our docs even less useful then they already are by this effort.

> For stable, unchanging docs... I think its fine... but I just noticed that someone added
a complete new language for the KB, which I think is a bad idea.  The namespace was chopped
into to... searches will return a bunch of non-relevant pages.

> Where else is this kind of language translation being done? Even Atlassian does not do
this.

> I do not want to discourage anyone... but I think that this effort is going to end up
hurting the movement than anything else.

> --jason
>

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
> I understand your point but if we have people that are willing to put in the time and
effort at translation why should we discourage them?  I think its awesome that people think
enough about Geronimo to spend their time doing this for the benefit of non-english speakers.

> If it turns out that the content ends up out of sync (which it may very well due to the
preponderance of english speakers such as yourself) at that point I think natural selection
kicks in.

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 3:11 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
> I think it is a bad idea to have some many languages in the wiki.
>

> Wiki is meant to allow one person to go in and add content or change it... by having
these language specific sections of the wiki it means that one person can not really do that
anymore.

> For example, I have absolutely no plans to update any of the KB items in any other language
other than english... same goes for build documentation and other docs.

> If we did want to add multiple languages, then we need a system that will handle switching
the language and content based on the users browser, which confluence does not.

> But even then I think that for semi-dynamic content like wiki pages... that this is a
very bad idea and will almost always lead to the content getting out of sync.

> I would much, much, much prefer that the english pages get cleaned up and have more quality
content added, then to try and get the existing pages into more languages.