geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: how to support a jta1.1 tx manager in a j2ee 1.4 container
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:43:09 GMT
Let me try to be a little clearer about my question:

will sun supply a version of the j2ee 1.4 tck that passes if we
include jee5 spec interfaces and j2ee 1.4 compliant implementations?
Would this apply to all, some, or no jee5 spec interfaces?

A similar situation occurs with the QName class: there are 2
versions, and you can set the tck to expect either one.

I believe the answer to your question below is in the jpa spec -- you
don't get container managed transactions or jta tx support.

david jencks

On Sep 10, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> To get jpa support in we need a jta1.1 transaction manager.  There
>> are
>> two possibilities I can think of:
>> -- Sun might let us certify under j2ee 1.4 while including the jta1.1
>> spec jar.  AFAIK only Geir can find out if this is possible.  If
>> we can
>> do this, it's by far the best solution.
> To get JPA support in.... what?  Geronimo as a 1.4 J2EE server?
> I wonder how Sun thinks this is going to happen in general - how apps
> outside of a container that use JPA will get tx mgmt... :)  I'll
> find out.
>> -- We can make the tx manager/connector stuff a separate module,
>> perhaps
>> a plugin, and make 2 versions of anything that uses it.  IIUC the
>> parent-child listing on the system modules page, only openejb has a
>> dependency on the tx manager that would be affected by this.  I think
>> everything else can be dealt with using a modified
>> defaultEnvironement.... but I could be very wrong here, we might need
>> more versions of all the j2ee apps we deploy :-((((((  In any case I
>> think splitting the tx/connector stuff into a separate module
>> would be a
>> good idea.
>> I'm going to look into the second option.... Geir, can you look
>> into the
>> first?
>> thanks
>> david jencks