geronimo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Deepak Srinivasa" <deepu.sriniv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: One more build error on Windows
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:53:07 GMT
Hi,

Thanks Bill for the patch. I applied the patch, and was hoping that it would
fix my problem (was hopeful because Anitha was able to build...). But, it
did not build in my case :-(. The same error. Then I did what Jacek asked me
to do... I tried hand compiling by picking up the javac line from the mvn -X
output. When I run the command, I get a - 'The input line is too long'
error.

As far as I can make out, the problem I am facing seems to be with - Windows
restrictions on command line length.
I ran through some of the previous posts in the dev-list, but most of the
related ones were path-length problems, and not command-line-length
problems. So, we may have hit a new problem due to restriction on Windows
(or may be that this problem has already been discussed, in which case,
someone please point me to a workaround/solution).

I learnt that Windows has a restriction of 8192 characters in its command
window (CMD.EXE). See ->
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/12/10/56028.aspx
I checked this and its true...

Now, the javac command generated by Maven when the build fails in my case is
31489 chars in length!! I then changed my codebase to start from g:>
directly. I ended up with 25568 characters (still way off from a measly 8192
thats allwoed).

Some of the pacthes/workarounds provided earlier deal with the path-length
problem. Though the two problems are related (path length increases =>
command line length increases), they are different too (path length can be
less than 256, and yet the total command line length can exceed 8192)...
I have attached a file here (command.txt), which I think is the javac
command issued by Maven that fails. I hand wrote this by looking at the mvn
-X output in the file error.txt also attached here.
When I see the javac command (in command.txt), I see that lot of source java
files are given as arguments one after another, and therefore the command
line length increases so much. May be, we could compile the sources one
after another? Not sure if thats a good alternative...

Anyone encountered this problem before? I am wondering why I am facing this
problem while others on Windows are able to build. This only tells me that I
have not applied some patch or something. Am I missing something... please
let me know.
Thanks for your patience.

-Deepu.

On 9/1/06, Bill Dudney <bdudney@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Jacek,
>
> Just posted it, the build is once again successful for me. Sorry
> about the rar problem, what a pain!
>
> If you get a chance great, if not no worries.
>
> Deepak, would be great if you could try it out and let us know if it
> works for you.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -bd-
>
> On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
> > On 9/1/06, Bill Dudney <bdudney@apache.org> wrote:
> >> I think this is a bug in the build because of the removal of
> >> geronimo-
> >> j2ee_1.4_spec module.
> >>
> >> I filed a bug and will uploaded a patch shortly;
> >>
> >> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2373
> >>
> >> Please try it and comment in the JIRA on success/failure.
> >
> > I'm too fast today as the patch is not yet there ;-) I won't be able
> > to test it out as I'm struggling with another issue with the rar
> > plugin that won't let me build Geronimo successfully.
> >
> > Jacek
> >
> > --
> > Jacek Laskowski
> > http://www.laskowski.net.pl
>
>

Mime
View raw message