geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <>
Subject Re: Adding plugin utilities to Geronimo
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:08:58 GMT
Sounds great.  One thing I'd like to get some discussion around on
this topic is what are the dependencies for the console?  Given the
discussion to have a modular Geronimo (or micro G as Joe refers to
it) I'm wondering if the console should be tied as closely as it is
to J2EE cmponentry.  I don't have an answer but given that we're
moving from Servlet 2.4 to 2.5 and JSP 2.0 to 2.1 in JEE 5 its a
reminder that things won't remain the same over time.  As such,
perhaps the console and config plugins should be less dependent on
the Specs we administer.

Anyway, something to think about as we move down the road.

Aaron, will you be posting a JIRA with a description of the content
and direction or what was your thinking here?  Thanks for the heads up.

On Sep 20, 2006, at 4:12 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> All,
> I've got a couple plugin utility classes that include things like
> adding a screen to a console when a plugin is first run, resolving
> references to DB pools or GBeans from a plugin, and mangling a J2EE
> module as its deployed to incorporate plugin features (e.g. so you can
> include scheduled jobs in a WAR using the Quartz plugin).
> Is there interest in adding this stuff to the Geronimo project?  It
> seems like it would be best packaged as a JAR that other plugins can
> depend upon.
> I don't think it needs to be distributed with Geronimo, as it can be
> installed with the first plugin that depends on it.  So I'd be
> inclined to create a dir like geronimo/plugins/trunk/common to hold
> this (or perhaps geronimo/plugins/common/trunk -- I don't remember if
> we want all the plugin content in the same trunk or separate trunks).
> Anyway, I'd put in a compatible-with-1.1 release right away, and spin
> off a compatible-with-1.2 release as soon as the naming builder
> improvements are fully incorporated (I'm not sure if that's happened
> yet or not).
> Thanks,
>    Aaron

Matt Hogstrom