geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fixing java.endorsed.dirs
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:02:07 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Heinz Drews wrote:
>
>> There was sometime ago a discussion thread about the requirement to
>> have the jars in endorsed dirs also on the classpath.
>>
>> If endorsed would have been picked up then this would not be necessary.
>>
>> It is still possible to get xerces as the parser because of including
>> it on the classpath.
>> It would not be the default using the factories.
>
> Yep.  In Geronimo, we use the default factories.  Additionally, the
> J2EE spec requires that the default factories return a newer parser
> version then is included in a 1.4 vm, so you should have a fairly high
> confidence there are tests to for it in the TCK.

The problem here is not the resolving of the class factory, but rather
the resolution of the org.w3c.dom classes.  Those are the ones that are
a potential trouble spot.  If the JVM native versions are not compatible
with the Xerces ones, this can manifest as a NoMethodFoundException.
But only if you happen to hit code that attempts to call one of the
missing classes.  This is something of a ticking time bomb.

I had a similar situation with Yoko.  I had no problems loading the Yoko
ORB classes.  The yoko-core jar file doesn't even need to be in the
endorsed dir to work.  However, there was a issue with one of the
org.omg classes.  The Sun version wasn't compatible with the CORBA spec,
so if you tried to run the Yoko code using the native org.omg classes,
you got a NoMethodFoundException.  Once I successfully got the JVM to
process this jar as part of the endorsed dirs, I was able to override
the native classes and the Yoko ORB started working.