geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <>
Subject Re: Is java.endorsed.dirs actually working?
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:55:32 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> There is a lot of text here and I'm a bit confused.  FWIU, to use the
> trick we used in bootstrap you need the following:
> 1) add your endorsed jars to the manifest class path
> 2) no code accessed during the boot process can reference an endorsed
> package
> 3) modify the endorsed system property
> 4) use reflection to load a class that accesses the endorsed class
> (this may have to happen in a child class loader)
That's not the behavior I'm seeing in any of the experiments I've seen.
The directories searched for endorsed appear to be fixed at JVM boot
time, so Geronimo's additions to java.endorsed.dirs in Daemon were
having no effect.  I tested this with both the yoko-spec-corba jar and
the Xerces XML specs.  In both cases, I was getting the JVM native
classes.  In order to get this working correctly, I set GERONIMO_OPTS to
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:/..../lib/endorsed.  Once that was set, the
correct classes were getting returned.  I saw the same behavior from
some simple tests I coded up.

View raw message