geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Writing Readable Code
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:31:02 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:
> Color comments to some hideous color so you can't miss them.  block
> comments in code is a pain the ass when you need to comment out
> something.  I personally never easily miss a // comment :-P, but then
> again, I normally make comments in code using // multiline with NOTE:
> or HACK: or TODO: which IDEA likes to add extra color too.

Sorry, I got a bit loose with my terminology.  Yes, I agree with //
multi-line comment style and personally prefer that to /* ... */ style.
  What I was more intending to avoid was the infamous 200 char code line
followed by a comment on the same line which I sometimes miss when I'm
just scanning code to get the general idea of what it's doing.

> I think at the minimum that classes *must* all have javadoc...  forcing
> each method to have javadoc is lame and will endup with lame  javadocs
> that are meaningless... like getName() this method gets the  name,
> setName() this method sets the name.  But, I am generally in  favor of
> javadocs, and package docs.  Wish more of G had them... pity  that it
> doesn't.

Yes, I agree with this too.  I was thinking of more interesting methods.
  Getters, setters, and constructors are typically self-explanatory.