geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No branch is owned by a person (was: Re: svn commit: r446519 [4/4] - in /geronimo/sandbox/gcache: ./ openwire/ openwire/src/ openwire/src/main/ openwire/src/main/java/ openwire/src/main/java/org/ openwire/src/main/java/org/apache/ openwire/src/main/j
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:56:33 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>> not like i need people going in an making
>> changes to gshell or other stuff I have in there... unless they want
>> me to
>> ;-)
>
> Just spot it and though it's marked with a smile I'd like to make it
> clear and be sure *I* understand the rule.
>
> Any code at any place in the Geronimo repo is a Geronimo community
> matter. Every committer can change it and noone owns the code - it
> belongs to the community, i.e. it's open to be modified by anyone. Of
> course, as in trunk or other place in the repo, a discussion is always
> appreciated (mandatory?) and welcome before changes are made. Nothing
> unusual wrt branches.
>
> Am I correct in my thinking?

Based on the way you said it, you are not correct.  Yes, if its in the
Geronimo repo, its community matter.  But as you state, if its open to
be "modified by anyone', without discussion for what people want/are
altering, then it becomes a mess, and things get out of control very
quickly. As long as the community is involved in discussing changes,
then everyone is warm and welcome to be a part of making changes. This
is no different that working on trunk.  We all need to talk about and
agree on what we want to work on, what we will work on, and what we will
change...and then it all works.