geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pre-RTC look at the openejb/geronimo yoko support and request for input [long].
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:40:00 GMT
Bill Dudney wrote:
> This is great news! Feels like we are getting very close to being able
> to move to J2SE 5 and Java EE 5!
>
>> 1)  Leave the Sun ORB code in the tree, make the yoko package a
>> separate module that with a dependency on the openejb2 code.  The
>> existing build works ok, and the tests can be built for the Sun ORB.
>> The build of the yoko package could then have its own versions of the
>> tests, which would work find.
>> 2)  Replace the Sun ORB code with the yoko code and kick the Sun code
>> into a separate module.  Same things apply with the test.
>> 3)  Place both ORB adapters in outside modules, each with their own
>> builds and tests.
>
> I prefer option 3 if I understand you correctly with this we can have
> an assembly that is intended to run on Sun JDK and one intended to run
> on Sun or anywhere else.
You can get that capability with all 3 of these.  However, with option
1, the openejb2 code can only be built using the Sun 1.4.2 JDK.  Option
1 has the smallest disruption to the existing code though, which is the
only reason I included it in the list.  We basically can jump in to the
pool from the shallow end (option 1) or the deep end (option 3).  My
personal preference is 3 also.

> On Issue #3 is it just a build problem? From the sound of it the code
> won't run if the Sun ORB code is in the bootstrap class path (as it
> would be on the Sun 1.4 JDK). If we go with option #3 above and
> completely remove our dependence on the Sun ORB then we could run just
> fine on the 1.4 JDK correct? If that is the case then I think dropping
> the Sun ORB ASAP (getting past the TCK etc.) is the way to go.
Issue #3 is a runtime issue, not just a built problem.  The Sun ORB code
is ALWAYS on the bootclass path, since it is part of the JVM.  In
particularly, the versions of the org.omg.* classes that come with the
JVM are back level to (and incompatible with) the version that comes
with Yoko.  As a result, the Yoko code cannot run unless it is placed in
endorsed.dir.  However, when things are set up that way, then the Sun
code has the same problem....it won't run because of the same
incompatibility.

> I was also just looking at 2180 and noticed that the yoko dependencies
> are in maven, is it safe to pull them from there instead of using the
> attached zip file?
Yes...I hadn't realized that we'd been publishing Yoko snapshots to the
repository yet.  Assuming the snapshots are reasonably up-to-date, that
version should work ok.