geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: We might need "aliased" modules/configurations/artifactIds
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 20:18:26 GMT
We definitely need some form of type/function/interface/whatever based
dependencies.

I'm working on a new core framework assembly (little-G without the
containers ... micro-G? ) that we could use as a base for user created
assemblies via plugins.  This is really the same item that I think could
solve the assembly proliferation issue (per the recent jetty 5 vs. jetty
6 discussion).

One of the things that would be helpful for this "micro-G" is type based
dependencies as mentioned here.  We could then create plugins that had a
requirement on a servlet container without the need to create two or
more plugins for the various container we support).  We could also
define plugins that had cardinality rules associated with them (only
install if no other plugin of similar type is installed) so that we
won't end up with 2 web container vying for the same ports, etc...

How we go about doing this is something that I haven't dug into yet but
I think it would require some fundamental changes to the gBean
infrastructure.

Sorry to get so long winded.  I hope this is still relevant to the
thread you intended to start David. :-)

Joe