geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Geronimo Development Process
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:56:34 GMT

Kevan Miller wrote:

> 1. Relaxed RTC
>
> Geronimo follows a Review-Then-Commit (RTC) model.  Patches for new
> function are provided by developers for review and comment by their
> peers.  Feedback is conducted through JIRA comments.

- -1 on that last sentence.  You don't hold discussions in JIRA..

> * Any -1 votes need to be accompanied by a reason (the parties should
> then attempt to reach a mutually agreed upon solution to the issue
> raised).

- -1 on the parenthetical clause.  It would be nice, but 'should'
is too strong I think.  That's calling for someone who vetoed
a change for technical reasons to help resolve his own veto
whether he likes the change or not.

> * If the issues can't be resolved then the PMC can be called upon to
> settle the dispute and make a recommendation.

- -1.  A veto is a veto.  The above implies that the PMC can
override a valid veto.  It cannot.

> 2. RTC with Lazy Consensus
>
> Geronimo follows a Review-Then-Commit model with Lazy consensus.
> Patches for new function are provided by developers for review and
> comment by their peers. Feedback is conducted through JIRA comments.

- -1 on the JIRA means again.

> 3. CTR with documentation guidelines
>
> * Concurrent with the commit of a significant change, the committer
> should document the change on the dev list. You should describe what
> you are doing, describe why you are doing it, and provide an overview
> of how you implemented it.

It's useful for historical reasons for most of that to be
in the commit log.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"