geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [SUMMARY] Proposed Geronimo Development Processes
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 01:34:04 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:
> Thanks Kevan for the summary, I think this really helps.
>
> More comments below inline...
>
> On Sep 6, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>> 1. Relaxed RTC

>> * 3 +1 votes from committers on the project (1 of these committers
>> needs to be a member of the PMC) with no outstanding -1 votes.
>
> I don't think that we need a requirement of a PMC vote here.  The PMC
> can provide enough oversight w/o a required vote.  IMO, a vote is a vote
> is a vote... I don't put any weight over a committers vote to a PMC
> members vote.  I value them both equally.  Forcing a PMC vote here is
> artificial and promotes separatism rather than unity.

I'm fine with removing the PMC requirement.

>> 3. CTR with documentation guidelines
>>
>> Geronimo follows a Commit-Then-Review model. There should be an
>> emphasis of community communication. Community-based policing and
>> persuasion will be used to remedy any problem areas. Guidelines are
>> not strict dogma -- common sense should prevail. Community
>> communication is the key, not a process. General guidelines are:
>>
>> * Non-trivial changes (and certainly potentially controversial
>> changes) should be announced on the dev list. This announcement should
>> be well in advance of the change being committed. The community should
>> be given the opportunity to understand and discuss the proposal.
>>
>> * Concurrent with the commit of a significant change, the committer
>> should document the change on the dev list. You should describe what
>> you are doing, describe why you are doing it, and provide an overview
>> of how you implemented it.
>
> This feels a whole lot like common-sense for how to participate on an
> open-source project.  In most cases, I think this is also the best model
> to run under... though I do believe that RTC has some merit as well.

Common sense and decency is what I would like to see ;-)

> If it was up to me (which it isn't, but here is my opinion anyways), I

I think everyone's input counts.

> would use a hybrid model, which would default to CTR (with emphasis on
> common sense and communication) and for non-trivial or potentially
> controversial changes follow the RTC with Lazy Consensus as described in
> #2 (with the addition of inclusion of development branches or patches,
> depending on the complexity).  I actually think that this is
> common-sense too.

I concur.

> But Jason... I think you are on crack... and I want to smoke some too!
>
> Okay, you are on your own there... just make sure you clean your pipe,
> cause their ain't nuthing worse than a dirty ole crack pipe. :-P

Your knowledge of controlled / illegal substances boggles my mind.  I'm wondering if there
aren't
dark secret times in your life where you secretly are in love with Windows as a primary OS
;-0