geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Release Early, Release Often
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:40:31 GMT
I'd also be interested in seeing what is actually in trunk already.
However, I'd be surprised if we really have a enough functionality for
this to be considered a feature release.

I've heard several people talk about functions that they would like to
see included in 1.2:  Yoko, Java 5, JPA integration, clustering,
GShell, pluggable JACC (may be already there), CMP for JPA, Usability
improvements (esp. web console), performance improvements, etc...   What
of these capabilities do we as a community feel are critical to be
competitive?

There are at least 2 items that I'd like to get into 1.2 before we
release it:

1)  A new repository implementation and/or other improvements in the
file system to provide some relief on the Windows pathlength issue as
well as make it easier to locate deployed applications.

2) A framework assembly (basically little-G without a container) to be
used as a foundation for building template based servers from the
framework + plugins providing a "roll your own" server capability to our
users.  This is just a start at this notion which will also require a
number of other functions (either in 1.2 or, more likely, in a
subsequent release).

Joe