geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Restructuring trunk, then next steps
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:18:16 GMT

Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> System seems to made up of the core elements of Geronimo.  Are we
> missing a /distributions or /server element?  It would be awesome to
> only have to change the version of the distributions in one place.

I had recommended we rename /system to /server as I think that most of
the elements contained within it are what we typically think of when we
think of the server in a more generic sense.

<snip> ... </snip>
> Anyway, I think we definitely need a /server which would be the minimal
> Geronimo server (w/o a web container that plugins can be installed into)
> and a /dist for the J2EE certified server versions.

I'm not following why the minimal geronimo server would be pulled out
into it's own top level tree (or am I mis-understanding your proposal)?
   Isn't this just another assembly since I assume we'll still have at
least one assembly available that will be the full Geronimo distribution
for users that want a full blown server right out of the box?  BTW, I've
been calling this more minimal assembly "framework" on my local build
but I still have it located under /assemblies  (ie.
assemblies/geronimo-framework) since it's the core framework from a user
perspective used to build up a personalized server.

Joe