geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: One more build error on Windows
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:37:51 GMT

ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> According to Deepak's e-mail, the javac command is 32k long.  There is more
> than just a long path to the Geronimo install going on here.  I would be
> curious to see what that command looks like.   I find it very difficult to
> believe that this command cannot be optimized.

*sigh*

/me begins to wonder if his emails are getting read or not...

Ian, I recommend you look at the source before you believe the command
it not optimized.

Please review
http://mojo.codehaus.org/jspc-maven-plugin/xref/org/codehaus/mojo/jspc/AbstractJspcMojo.html

Please look at line 232 and 239.  Please note that:

*NO COMMAND LINE IS BEING RUN*

com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile() is being called.  The parameter is
takes is an array of Strings.  Each element represents the args *and*
each source file.  Have a look at line 425...each source file is an
array entry.

Look at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javac.html#proginterface
to show how to call the java compiler programatically.  Also please
juxtapose how it was done in jspc with the way it's done in ant:

http://www.cenqua.com/fisheye/demo/viewrep/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/compilers/Javac13.java?r=1.18

Ian, if you have suggestions on optimizing this better than the way Ant
or even maven itself, please feel free to open a JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJSPC

All patches are welcome ;-)

Jeff