geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Let us please use a JIRA for every code change we make
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:01:40 GMT

On Sep 18, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I think it is a bad idea to force every change to have a JIRA issue
> created (or associated).  This will only lead to forcing people to
> add a bunch of junk to JIRA.
>
> -1 to forcing each change to have a JIRA... common sense should
> dictate which changes need JIRA issues and which do not.
>
> JIRA is more useful to track high-level coarse grained information
> and bugs fixed.  If you need fine grained history, look at subversion.

That pretty much reflects my sentiments.  I usually file JIRAs for
anywhere from 50% to 80% of the commits I do.  Occasionally, I've
filed jiras after the fact as sometimes I'll check something in and
think, "that might be something for the release notes, I should file
a jira."

I'd say a good system is if you see a commit that should have a jira
for the release notes, poke the committer and encourage them to add one.

-David