geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is java.endorsed.dirs actually working?
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:21:51 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> I've been wrestling with a Yoko ORB problem when running under Java
> 5.  When running on 1.4.2, the Yoko ORB works fine because the
> native JVM doesn't include an implementation of
> org.omg.PortableInterceptor.IORInterceptor_3_0.  Because there's no
> conflict, the yoko version is getting loaded.
> With Sun's Java 5 impl, there is a version of
> org.omg.PortableInterceptor.IORInterceptor_3_0 that's incompatible
> with the CORBA standard (and also the Yoko implementation).  The
> Sun version is getting picked up, cause ORB initialization
> failures.  This is occurring even though the yoko-spec-corba jar
> has been copied into lib/endorsed.
>
> I decided to try an experiment using the jetty-j2ee Geronimo
> assembly.  I deleted the Xerces jars from the lib/endorsed
> directory.  I did this to convince myself that the
> java.endorsed.dirs mechanism was working correctly and the problem
> was due to me missing something with the yoko cofiguration.  I
> expected Geronimo to "fall over" during launch because of the
> missing jars.  To my surprise, it didn't.
> I instrumented one of the yoko classes, and add it load the
> IORInterceptor_3_0 class and org.w3c.dom.Element and dump the
> package information for these classes.  The Package information
> indicates both of these classes are resolving to the JVM native
> versions rather than the versions in lib/endorsed.  The
> java.endorsed.dirs appears to be set to the correct value, and the
> jar files are in the appropriate directory, but the classes don't
> appear to be getting picked up.
>
> This was just the last experiment for a problem I've been chasing
> since Monday.  I'm getting extremely inconsistent results from
> using java.endorsed.dirs.  Right now, I have 4 situations in front
> of me:
>
> 1)  Simple standalone test case using Yoko ORB.
> 2)  Yoko unit tests using surefire plugin.
> 3)  Openejb Yoko unit tests using surefile plugin (setup was copied
> from the Yoko unit tests).
> 4)  Full Geronimo assembly using the Yoko ORB.
>
> When running under Java 5, 1) and 2) work ok.  3) fails, even
> though the surefile tests (in theory) are running exactly the same
> way as 2).  4) also fails.  1), 3), and 4) all work fine under Java
> 1.4.2, but there's no conflict with the native IORInterceptor_3_0
> class is that scenario.  I spent most of yesterday wrestling with
> scenario 3), and never getting it to work.  Like scenario 4), the
> jar files are in the target endorsed directory and the
> java.endorsed.dirs is pointing to the correct location.  Right now,
> I'm completely stumped, and I'm wondering if this has every really
> worked in the Geronimo assembly.

I have often wondered if our endorsed dir actually worked also...
it's always seemed somewhat unlikely :-)

How is the endorsed dir set for 2) and 3), and how does the yoko jar
get onto the classpath?

Does 2) involve an actual yoko jar or does it run off of unjarred
classes?

Is anything different in esp. 4) if you set the endorsed dir on the
command line rather than letting geronimo set it after the jvm has
started more?

thanks
david jencks