geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: gcache imlementation ideas[long]
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:26:31 GMT
On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
> The JMS provider would be a pluggable comm strategy.  For performance
> reasons, I want to start with TCP communication.

Why do you think that AMQ will not perform well?

> I definitely want to
> have a JMS strategy...maybe next.  But initially I don't want any
> dependencies on other servers or brokers.
>
> With that said, after looking at openwire, the comm marshaller for
> ActiveMQ, there is a lot to leverage there and will prevent a
> rewrite of
> the comm layer.  So, there will be some use of that code base
> initially.

IMO, AMQ already provides a rich clustering environment, with
failover, master-slave, dynamic discovery, firewall-happy transports,
monitoring and a heck of a lot more.

Seems like it would be a waste to go and re-implement all of that.
It also seems that if you wanted to get something up sooner, that it
would be much easier to design a AMQ strategy first, which means that
you only have to worry about the message passing to sync up and
invalidate state, rather than all of the details of who is in what
cluster, failing over, blah, blah...

And, I guess that if after that was implemented you still thought it
was not fast enough, then it might be better to get AMQ fixed to
perform better, though I don't think that the performance using AMQ
will differ all that much from a custom socket protocol to pass
messages.

I am a huge fan of AMQ and would really like to see G exploit its
network communications facilities as much as possible.

IMO, this is the best way to get the most features for clustering up
and running sooner, with less code to maintain.

--jason