geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Pre-RTC look at the openejb/geronimo yoko support and request for input [long].
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:56:15 GMT
Great work!!!
On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> [...]
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2353  Reduce the
>    number of places where CORBA config parameters are specified.
>
> This should also be the first step toward achieving this goal:
>
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-433  Tolerate non-
> Sun JREs
>
> And should also be a step toward allowing full support of Java 5.
>
> This code works as far as being able to start and stop the j2ee-
> corba system module.  Fuller testing is going to require getting
> the MagicGBall app working and then see how this works with TCK
> testing.  There are some issues with doing either of those steps at
> the moment, but I decided this is a good point to show people I've
> done, since it will be easier to ask questions about it.
>
> Let me give the basics of what I've done, and I have a few areas
> I'd like community input on how I should proceed from here.
> The bulk of the changes are really around GERONIMO-2353.  While
> trying to fit the Yoko ORB into this structure, I found a number of
> pain points:
>
>   1. The org.openejb.corba.SunNameService GBean only supported the Sun
>      ORB, and was not generally configurable like CORBABean or CSSBean
>      were.
>   2. The CORBABean and CSSBean configuration included "args" and
>      "props" items which were passed directly through to an ORB.init()
>      call.  These attributes were used to configure things like the
>      initial listener port, the host server name, and the initial
>      NameServer location.  In a few cases, the values set were not
>      portable between ORB implementations, which made it more
> difficult
>      to switch between ORBs.
>   3. The CSSBean and CORBABean declarations needed to be coded with a
>      dependency on SystemProperties.  The SystemProperties object was
>      initializing various system properties that were needed by the
>      ORB, and also enabled the RMI support.  These properties were
>      generally not portable between ORB implementations, since they
>      included references to Sun specific classes.
>
> To clean this up, I reworked the ConfigAdapter interface used in
> the current code base.  This interface now has 3 basic operations
> 1)  create a name service, 2)  create a server ORB, and 3) create a
> client ORB.  The existing code is just configured with a
> ConfigAdapter class name and the CORBABean/CSSBean services
> instantiated an instance of the class.  Now the ConfigAdapters are
> GBean instances, and the doStart() methods of these GBeans are
> encapsulate the responsibility for setting the RMI system
> properties.  SunNameService has been replaced by a generic
> NameService GBean, and NameService, CORBABean, and CSSBean all take
> a ConfigAdapter instance in their constructors.  Now, from a plan
> standpoint, it's possible to switch between ORBs by changing a
> single line in the plan.   All of this work is really independent
> of the Yoko-specific changes, but did make it easier to write the

This sounds great!

> Which brings me to
>
> ISSUE #1:  I added a NameService argument to the CORBABean
> constructor.  The ConfigAdapter would take this NameService
> instance, and configure the ORB to use the NameService.getURI()
> result for it's initial  NameService reference.  Well, when trying
> to get Geronimo to build, I got a failure on one of the client
> plans because there was a CORBABean coded, but no NameService.  The
> CORBABean had use the now obsolete arguments attribute to configure
> the ORB to use a remote NameService.  I thought on this a little,
> and decided to just add a "local" attribute to the NameService
> GBean.  If local is false, then the bean does not launch a local
> server instance and the getURI() returns the remote location of the
> NameService as specified by the host/port combination.  This worked
> very well, but it somehow feels like a convenience hack to me.
> Does this sound ok, or should I take some other approach with this?

This seems reasonable to me.  There might be an even better way to
deal with this, but we definitely need to support both a name server
in the same vm (in which case with luck we can communicate with it in-
vm without tcp) or a remote name server.  We were starting a name
server in vm mostly because it's simpler to administer.
Theoretically we could start an app client where all it did was run
the name server :-).

> For GERONIMO-2002, I create a new SSLConfig GBean.  This class has
> a reference to a KeystoreManager GBean, plus various attributes
> that are required to generate SSLSocketFactory and
> SSLServerSocketFactory instances for creating the SSL sockets.  The
> CORBABean and CSSBean objects can be configured with an SSLConfig
> reference, which is then used whenever an SSL connection is
> required.  This is separate from the TSSConfig/CSSConfig
> specifications.  TSSConfig/CSSConfig help determine WHEN an SSL
> connection is required.  The SSLConfig determines HOW the
> connection gets created when it is required.
> ISSUE #2:  This works fairly well for the j2ee-corba plan, which
> imports the j2ee-security plan.  The j2ee-security plan defines the
> default KeystoreManager instances, so things get resolved properly.
>
> On the client side, the client-corba plan does not import j2ee-
> security, so I didn't have a configured KeystoreManager to work
> with.  It did not seem appropriate to import the j2ee-security
> plan, since there were items here that did not apply well to a
> client configuration.  As a shortcut, I just copied the
> KeystoreManager definitions into the client plan, but I'm not sure
> I'm comfortable that this will define/locate the KeystoreManagers
> properly.  Does anybody with more experience with the security
> support have suggestions for how this should be handled?

I think you should put the KeystoreManager gbean into the client-
security plan.  You will definitely break things if you try to start
any server configuration such as j2ee-security in the client.

This is excellent!

> And, finally, GERONIMO-2180.  This code was rather straightfoward
> once I'd completed the above items.  I just created an
> org.openejb.corba.yoko package, added a ConfigAdapter
> implementation, plus whatever ORB-specific classes were required to
> bridge between the ORB and Geronimo.  Not really a lot of code in
> this package.  BUT....
>
> ISSUE #3:  In order for the Yoko ORB to function properly, the Yoko
> jar files need to be part of the endorsed.dir configuration or
> included on the bootstrap classpath.  This makes it very difficult
> for the Yoko and the Sun code to coexist in the same build tree.
> The code will compile ok, but unit tests are a problem.  There are
> a couple of tests that caused problems.  The SunNameService class
> had a test which I replicated for the Yoko NameService.  If the
> build was enabled for the Sun ORB, the Yoko test would cause a
> build failure.  If enabled for the Yoko ORB, the Sun test would
> fail.  When I made the changes to have a generic NameService GBean,
> both of these tests became obsolete, so they are deleted for now.
> Once we sort out the coexistance strategy, I'll try introducing new
> tests.  There was a similar problem with one of the
> TSSConfigEditorTest, which needed to create an configure a
> CORBABean instance.
>
> On the Geronimo side, there are similar problems.  Building any of
> the corba configurations depended upon whether the yoko classes
> were in endorsed.dir.  If there were absent, it was not possible to
> build a yoko-based configuration.  If present, it was not possible
> to build the Sun-based configuration.  There was some suggestion
> that we might need to ship additional full assemblies to
> accommodate this.

I think we should consider setting up a parallel universe of yoko
assemblies with additional configs modules as needed and find out how
much work we have to convince the interop tck tests to pass.  At that
point we will have a better idea what to do next.

> For the openejb2 code tree, I see several possibilities:
>
> 1)  Leave the Sun ORB code in the tree, make the yoko package a
> separate module that with a dependency on the openejb2 code.  The
> existing build works ok, and the tests can be built for the Sun
> ORB.  The build of the yoko package could then have its own
> versions of the tests, which would work find.
> 2)  Replace the Sun ORB code with the yoko code and kick the Sun
> code into a separate module.  Same things apply with the test.
> 3)  Place both ORB adapters in outside modules, each with their own
> builds and tests.

I vote for (3).  I've wished the corba code was in 2 additional
modules (runtime and builder) for a really long time.

> Possibility 1)  Has one serious disadvantage as it leaves the
> openejb2 code tree coupled to the Sun 1.4.2 JVM.  Either 2 or 3
> will remove that particular Java 1.4.2 dependency.  Does anybody
> have and strong feelings about this?
>
> ISSUE #4 is then how do we manage the possibility of both the Sun
> ORB support and the Yoko support?  Will this actually require
> separate assemblies to work, or is there some means to easily allow
> the switching?

I suspect we should be able to set it up so that the openejb configs
don't depend on the corba configs/jars so we might be able to put in
the corba support as plugins or have several assemblies.

After we get yoko working does anyone think we need to preserve sun
orb support?

> Anyway, a lot of words to digest.  Issues #3 and #4 are the ones
> that are going to cause the most pain to implement, so I'm really
> interested in getting community consensus on how to proceed here.

This is exciting!

thanks
david jencks