geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <>
Subject Re:
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 03:46:08 GMT
Like Aaron said, plugin repositories already use a maven repository
layout with the exception of one file -- geronimo-plugins.xml.  That
file is basically a catalog for all the plugins hosted in a
repository.   I discovered something very interesting tonight, which
is that the catalog does not actually have to reside in the plugin
repository.  It can be hosted anywhere as long as its
default-repository element points at a valid repository location.

To me this is great news because it means that we can host a catalog
for ASF plugins wherever we like and use existing maven repositories
without introducing any new files or requiring any changes to them.
>From maven's point of view, this makes installing a plugin look like
importing a car into a geronimo assembly.

I prototyped this idea by creating a plugin catalog at :
that uses the default-repository element to point at the plugins
already published at :
When I loaded that catalog into the plugins portlet I was able to
install the sample plugins just like when I use the default catalog.
You can recreate these results by adding to the
plugin repositories in your 1.1.1 console.

The net of all this is that I would like to take this idea to the next
level by creating catalogs for the ASF plugins at the location Jacek
has suggested :
and point at the plugins already hosted in the maven repos.  I don't
foresee this requiring any changes to maven, but are there any
concerns with this approach?  Feedback and/or assistance from one of
our maven experts would be especially helpful.

Also, I would like to know if there are any plans to publish snapshot
builds.  Seems like I remember that being discussed recently.  Having
this in place alongside the idea described above would greatly
increase our ability to develop and test ASF plugins between release

Best wishes,

On 9/22/06, Aaron Mulder <> wrote:
> There's one non-standard file (geronimo-plugins.xml), but it has to go
> in the root directory of the repo and be maintained (updated every
> time a plugin in the repo is added, removed, or updated).  I have
> heard the Maven guys say they could handle that, but I'm not sure if
> they meant "someone could implement something" or "it would work right
> now" -- I kind of suspect the former.
> Thanks,
>      Aaron
> On 9/22/06, David Jencks <> wrote:
> > I don't understand the issues with using the maven repo as a plugin
> > repo.  sorry, I haven't been following the discussion that closely.
> > I was under the impression that a plugin repo had to include a bunch
> > of non-maven-recognized files in order to be useful.  If we are to do
> > this I think we need a clear and definitive opinion from the m2 folks
> > that this will not get in the way of repository maintenance.
> >
> > My opinion at the moment, based on very little info:
> > -- if the maven guys assure us that using a maven repo as a plugin
> > repo will never cause problems, lets do that.
> > -- if there is a measurable chance it would cause problems now or in
> > the future, lets have a separate plugin repo.
> >
> > thanks
> > david jencks

> > > I haven't seen any feedback on this thread since last week but I think
> > > it's still an important topic.  From what I understand, Jacek has
> > > suggested that we create a plugin repository at
> > >  I proposed using the maven repo
> > > as a plugin repository instead but haven't seen any feedback on that
> > > idea so I'm doubting it has support. Other than floating that idea as
> > > an alternative (which I'm satisfied has been done) I don't really have
> > > any concerns with calling a vote at this time, if that's still the
> > > intention.  Any others out there have opinions on this matter?
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Paul

View raw message