geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JMX Viewer
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:25:19 GMT
Comments inline..

--- "Christopher M. Cardona" <chris.m.cardona@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. Is it possible to display 'Geronimo MBeans' (console.doc) sorted
> > according to the configurations they belong to?
<snip>...............
> One thing we can do is
> add a list of ServiceModules and clicking each node will list its
> MBeans
> which is almost close to what you want.

   This would be nice to have.

> > 2. Is it possible to view tomcat MBeans?
> >

> Yes. Currently there are two ways to do this the fastest. One option
> is
> to navigate the tree - Geronimo MBeans > GBean. Another option is to
> do
> an MBean search using a pattern like: “geronimo:j2eeType=GBean,*”.
> Both
> will give a list of all the GBeans which include the Tomcat MBeans.

   This only gives only the MBeans that have been exposed via GBeans. A
typical tomcat MBean has a name attribute like:
Name: Geronimo:type=Connector, port=8443, address=%2F0.0.0.0

     If you are using kernel.listGBeans to find the MBeans, they will
not be visible. One must query the MBeanserver to find these. Earlier
listGBeans used to return all the MBeans. Let's wait for other
suggestions about how to do this..

> > 3. I like the jconsole's view of the attributes (jconsole2.doc).
> The
> > attributes are color coded. Jconsole even allows modification of
> these
> > attributes. I am not sure if we want to allow that. Please compare
> this
> > with console2.doc
> >

> I think this is doable. We can set the Attribute value’s color
> depending
> on its property (readonly, writable, unavailable). Right now
> modifying
> the attribute values is supported but with limitation. We can only
> set
> the values for attributes with primitive data types and some commonly
>
> used classes that can be constructed with a String class. A button
> should display under the Setter column if an attribute is writable.
> Not
> sure if we want to allow this but my initial implementation allows
> it.

   I get an 'error:invalid reply from the server' while setting the
value using the setter button. After this the JMX viewer stopped
working. It kept returning same error for all the clicks.

> >    The following are minor things that should be easy to fix -
> > 1. The deploymentDescriptor attribute of the WebModule (see
> > framework.war) is not right.
> >
> Can you give more details? What is not right?

   The value of DD is not right. (See DD.jpg). To create this search
for j2eeType=WebModule and click on remote-deploy-tomcat. The DD was
not listed as an attribute in the normal display of J2EEMBeans -->
WebModule.
   All the attributes of TomcatWebConnector are not listed.

> > 2. In 'J2EE MBeans' --> attribute display the Getter and Setter
> columns
> > are redundant. And we should color code the value of
> > readable/writable/manageable attributes (jconsole2.doc). I do not
> know
> > how easy this will be.
> >
> Can you explain more why you think it’s redundant?

    A readable attribute X implies it has a getter. If the attribute
type is boolean the getter is 'isX' otherwise it is getX. The only
exceptions to this are the magical attributes like classloader, kernel
etc. Similarly a writable attribute implies a setter. We should use a
different color for magical attribute (if possible).

> > 3. Jconsole does not display GBeanInfo but JMX Viewer does. The JMX
> > viewer should display a message 'click here for more info' in the
> > geronimo.config -->'GBeanInfo' row, and display full information
> only
> > when the user clicks on it. Jconsole has similar feature for some
> > values. The current view (console3.doc) is hard to comprehend.
> >

> A couple of things we can do here. One is to totally remove the
> display
> of GBeanInfo attribute which I think is redundant data or if we
> decide
> not to remove it then I can just copy what JConsole is doing which is
> display ‘Unavailable’ for the GBeanInfo value. Your suggestion of
> clicking and displaying full information needs more work because of
> the
> way Dojo table widget is designed. What do you think?

     We should remove it for now. If you think someone might want to
add this feature in the future, please open a Jira issue.
   Once again thanks for your enormous effort.

Thanks
Anita