geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r437291 - in /geronimo/server/trunk: bootstrap bootstrap.bat bootstrap.xml
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 19:48:36 GMT
inline..

--- Jason Dillon <jason@planet57.com> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2006, at 7:42 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> Anita, why do you always bring this up when there is talk about
> bootstrap?

 Because when people are using bootstrap, it is not very obvious what
is going on. It is much simpler to give the 3 URLs and a simple build
command mvn. If there are build/test failures, they can look at the
default profile, and see what they are building. If for example the
openejb2 test failed, they could simply do
     >cd openejb2  and
     >mvn -Dmaven.test.skip=true
After this they can continue the build from the next step, i.e.
configs, etc.

> I have explained over and over and over again that the
> point of bootstrap is not to facilitate a normal build but to ensure

People only care about the normal build.

> that the build works from a known state (ie. clean, fresh specs, from
>
> openejb2).  Your method does not provide this level of assurance.  I

You have not given any concrete example/scenario in which my build
method does not work.

> created this script because people had problems checking things out
> in the right place,

Is this the main reason?

>cleaning the right bits and running the right mvn

  Could you be more precise?

> commands to perform the build steps that were needed to help ensure
> that most everyone (except for some folks with whacky windows
> machines) can make a reliable build near 100% of the time.
>
> I'm really kinda getting tired of having to re-explain this.
>

> > To build geronimo with openejb2 add openejb2 to the default profile
> in
> > the top level pom.xml as shown below:
> >            <modules>
> >                 <module>modules</module>
> >                 <module>maven-plugins</module>
> >                 <module>applications</module>
> >                 <module>openejb2</module>
> <-------
> >                 <module>configs</module>
> >                 <module>assemblies</module>
> >             </modules>
> >     and
>
> No, no, no, no... no... no.  We had already talked about this weeks
> ago.  Its fine that you want to build in this manner, but I am firmly
>
> against putting a module into the main build that is for a directory
>
> that the user must checkout by hand.

   I do not see any problems with that. Let us give people a choice by
putting these instructions on the wiki and they can decide if they want
to use bootstrap. BTW, it is in line with your philosophy about builds:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Unable-to-build-using-m2-p5074204.html

> >> cd ..
> >> mvn
> >    After the first time you can build from any directory.
> >
> >     Please give it a try and provide feedback, so that we can put
> > bootstrap to rest.
>
> I don't have any problems with you, or anyone else making changes to
>
> include openejb2 in their local workspace (I'd recommend putting that
>
> into a profiles.xml next to the pom.xml though).  But I think that
> your method is unacceptable for the project default.
>
> Bootstrap is there for a reason... I am not crazy, I actually know
> what I am doing.
>
> At this point I believe that bootstrap is important and needs to
> remain, until the items I previously listed are resolved.

   I am not asking you to remove the bootstrap, I want to give our
users a choice.

Thanks
Anita