geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:38:30 GMT
> Jacek,  I see a couple of discussions going on in parallel:

Well, I should've seen them too, and I did in fact, but completely
forgot about them. Perhaps, it's time to start doing after
everything's said ;-)

> geronimoplugincentral.org -- this is is a plugin user community site
> inspired by eclipseplugincentral.com that was announced to the dev
> list a few weeks ago.  Where the thread left off was that there were
> suggestions to host the site at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins
> instead of a private domain.  I proposed a plan of action to make that
> happen in the thread "plugin community site" and am ready for
> feedback, assuming that +1's would equal support.

Do we need a full-blown web site (with Joomla behind)? Wouldn't a
maven-like structure be enough? Just to see how it goes and bring the
jpa plugin here (where its home is ;-))

> geronimo plugins subproject -- IIUC this proposed subproject is for
> plugin developers and would be similar to the Geronimo plugins project
> at sourceforge but hosted at ASF and governed by Geronimo (like
> devtools).  Several folks have volunteered to help and I would also
> like to take this opportunity to volunteer to help.  There's a thread
> "maven repository hosting geronimo plugins" that proposes using the
> maven repository for hosting the plugins generated by ASF instead of
> creating a new infrastructure for hosting plugins. No feedback on that
> idea yet.

That's why I asked about it again. Everybody's busy so only the
hottest features are able to survive, and the others need to be pushed
a little ;-)

> I see these two discussions as separate because they address two
> different communities -- plugin users vs. plugin developers.  But I
> wonder if you view them as the same since you allude to an official
> plugins subproject hosted at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins ?

I don't know if they need to have their own repo. Just thinking out
loud and thinking we could separate them in a 'plugins' subdirectory
of the Geronimo repo pretty well, too. If they get large they could
become a subproject or a tlp project, whatever. I think we need to
make a home for them before people will scratch their heads where they
could be developed.

What I'm leaning toward is a very unideal yet working solution with
http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins and plugins subdirectory in place.
If/when we decide something better we'll change it.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl