geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: gcache implementation ideas[long]
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:58:20 GMT
> David Jencks wrote:
> > - the former master comes back up
>
> Good question.  Do we A) have it return as a master? or B) have it come
> in as a slave-n?  Need some input here.

First off, I'm a complete clastering beginner so "don't be cruel to a
heart that's true" ;-)

I'd say it depends on a strategy a cluster's configured with. On the
other hand, does it really matter who's the master if all are equal?
When a tcpip connection is made to a slave-n it would become a master
and in case it gets up and running again it could become a slave-n (as
the state would change in the meantime when it's been down) and only
become a master when other slaves are gone. I think there's no need to
promote a just-hung-and-booted server as a master when there's a
master and it's doing well.

> > - slave 1 (or any intermediate slave) goes down.
> > - slave 1 (or any intermediate slave) comes back up
> > - slave n (last slave) goes down.
>
> All great questions.  I would like feedback here.

See above. The next slave will act as a master until all are gone and
the cluster is deemed to have failed. The way 'the next' is computed
depends on the magical strategy that's in use (it could be the next in
the sense of a list concept or computed randomly).

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl