geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Another really strange mysterious build error
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:39:38 GMT
> I sometimes get this error building openejb-core:
>
>    <testcase time="1.273"
> name="org.openejb.deployment.UnpackedModuleDeploymentTest">
>      <error type="java.lang.NoSuchMethodError"
> message="org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.release(Ljava/lang/
> ClassLoader;)V">java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.release(Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;)V
>          at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.MultiParentClassLoader.destroy
> (MultiParentClassLoader.java:386)

Let's take a look at the history of the class -
o.a.c.logging.LogFactory, esp. with regards to the release method.

I couldn't find a FishEye instance or such, but
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/ lists the javadoc for some
releases. So, I took a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.0.2/docs/api/
and noticed that there was no release(ClassLoader) method. Then
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.0.3/docs/api/
has both - release() and release(ClassLoader). As does the next
release - 1.0.4 -
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.0.4/docs/apidocs/.
And does the the last release - 1.1 -
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/commons-logging-1.1/apidocs/index.html.

So the only version the classloader could pick up was 1.0.2 that
doesn't contain the method in question.

jlaskowski@dev /cygdrive/c/oss/openejb2
$ find . -name "pom.xml" -exec grep -q commons-logging {} \; -print
./modules/openejb-core/pom.xml
./pom.xml

Only does the second pom.xml list commons-logging version.

And that's where my investigation ends. Nothing comes to my mind, but
may have given you some additional info you might've missed (which I
believe was unlikely ;-))

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski