geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Where to develop plugins (was: Re: JPA Plugin patch)
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:38:46 GMT

> On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
> > Re: developers developing plugins - you're certainly right, we're not
> > developing one monolithic codebase with all the features one could
> > dream of. It's impossible and I understand why people could develop
> > their plugins outside. They simply don't have necessary karma to do it
> > here. That's a very important matter I've not thought of before.
> >
> > What I was not happy with was you as a Geronimo committer who's been
> > doing plugin development outside. Now, when I think about it a bit
> > more I think I get the gist of it - you couldn't work with your
> > buddies, actually, they couldn't work as easily as they can do outside
> > - the rest of the jpa plugin team don't have the karma to do it here.
> > Got it and have to think about it a little to let my mind settle.
>
> A major part of my moral compass on situations like this is, "what
> signal
> does this send to the aspiring <ProjectName> developers out there?"
>

> Imagine a hundred developers excited about the idea of developing
> plugins
> for Geronimo.  How do my actions and attitudes in this situation affect
> them and their excitement and what does it tell them about how they
> might
> be perceived by me?  Am I ultimately bringing them closer or scaring
> them
> away?
>
> The answers are of course harder.

No, no, Dave. You can't do this to me ;-) Right after I thought it'd
all sorted out in my mind, you stepped forward and asked me such tough
questions.

I think people need to decide themselves where they want to work. If
they want to work with  Aaron outside, at SF, I'm fine. If they want
to work here, I'm fine, too. What's different is that in case of the
former I won't help them much (I'm not subscribed there) whereas I'll
definitely help them here. It's up to them. The culture, energy,
enthusiasm are all here, but how it's there I don't know. Another
point to think about.

Would you share with us what your answers are?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl