geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: JPA Plugin patch
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:04:49 GMT
On 9/1/06, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2006, at 4:07 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> > It's also disruptive to the community as they need to look it up in
> > their notes where the plugin comes from rather than download it from a
> > Geronimo space. More troublesome. Another factor to take into account.
>
> I would also like to see this plugin developed inside Geronimo, but I
> disagree with the argument above.

Hi Andrus,

(I hope you don't mind that your help for the plugin has been taken as
a reason to talk about the plugin and its dev home)

You *may* disagree with the comment above and you even *should* when
it's in conflict with your thinking, but *I* am part of the community
and *I* feel this way. Unless we talk about it, we won't know the
community's voice (and I don't believe the community is only us -
Andrus, Aaron and me).

> This effort does not undermine G.

That's not what I wrote/thought having written. However, depending on
what aspects we're talking about - technical or community-building - I
can agree and disagree with it, respectively.

It certainly enhances Geronimo (technically), but the way it's being
developed is what worries me and what could undermine Geronimo
(community-building) since it's developed outside by a Geronimo
committer. It's not someone who could have trouble to develop code
here sending patches back and forth, but Aaron who does have the karma
*and* responsibility to keep it here.

Aaron has already pointed out the reasons he decided to have gone this
way, but there was nothing that holds back the JPA development from
being conducted here, in the Geronimo space.

> community in any way and I don't feel like anything has to be
> explained to the users. So let's rephrase it instead of saying that
> Aaron did something wrong (which he did not).

It is my understanding and won't change it unless I hear a reasonable
explanation of it being done in SF.

I'd say AFAIUI there's nothing technical and legal that could prevent
it from being done here and your question has showed to me (and likely
to others) that it's quite confusing to be doing outside.

Just a thought, would you have sent the email to dev@geronimo if the
JPA plugin had *not* been developed by a group of people *not*
connected to Geronimo as close as Aaron is?

> Since there is interest inside G. community to develop this plugin,
> what would it take to bring this code to Geronimo?

Nothing is preventing it from happening, so only Aaron knows the exact answer.

> Plugin development
> is not disruptive to the core engine work (as it can be done entirely
> in parallel), so it doesn't have to follow RTC.

Just to not spur a discussion about the role of RTC and alike (it's
discussed a couple of times), I'd merely point out that any activity
done outside the trunk or bug fixes don't have to be RTCed.

Thanks Andrus for talking your time to talk it over! It helps me much
and I'm pretty sure it will help the whole community. Your patience's
appreciated.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski