geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Goals for 1.2 - Thoughts
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:01:08 GMT

On Sep 19, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm not sure I've seen this question asked directly so if I'm
> repeating please forgive me.
>
> What if we focus 1.2 not on a release (certified release) but go to
> milestones, switch to J2SE 1.5 and focus on JEE 5.  This means that
> we make 1.1.1 our last 1.4 certified release.
>
> I'd prefer this as we can focus on the next big goal and not try to
> boil the ocean.  Sacrilege ?

I don't think this is a good idea.

I think we need to make sure our stuff still is j2ee 1.4 compliant as
we integrate jee5 bits.  In particular openejb2 has never been run
past the tck.  I'm very much afraid that if we try to make our next
release jee5 it will be at least a year before we can release anything.

With our release/branch numbering principles we cannot migrate any
changes from trunk into the 1.1 branch and release a 1.1.x with e.g.
the current openejb2 trunk.

I also think that the exercise of making the j2ee1.4/jee5 support
pluggable will have very good consequences for the micro-architecture
and independence of the components and will greatly encourage
appropriate separation of concerns and pluggability.

I'm still waiting to find out from Geir/Sun about whether we can ship
a j2ee 1.4 certified server that includes j2ee5 interfaces.  If we
can this will simplify migration considerably.

thanks
david jencks