geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Restructuring trunk, then next steps
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:21:31 GMT
So, while cleaning up dependencies a bit to try to make separate
transaction and connector-deployer configs, I remembered that we have
this problem that right now the maven dependencies between modules
(jar files) are all to other geronimo jar files, whereas the geronimo
dependencies usually need to be to other configs (car files, modules,
configurations,.... aren't names fun).  This kinda sucks.  We _could_
try to make the dependency systems line up, which might mean we can
simplify both the build and some of our dependency tracking code....
or it might not, but at least there'd only be one set of dependencies.

So the idea is that we'd build a few jar files, then the car file
that puts them in the server together with the services we expose
from the classes.  The maven dependencies of the car file would be
the same as the geronimo classpath for it.  Then the next set of jar
files can use the pom from the car project and get the whole set of
dependencies.   For the car file using the jar we just built, we'd
pull all the maven dependencies from the jar into the car file,
either explicitly or by using the geronimo-dependency.xml file or a
replacement (such as the pom itself)

At this point it would make sense to organize the build tree by car
file.

Thoughts?

thanks
david jencks