geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: How do swing apps work?
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 00:24:33 GMT

On Sep 8, 2006, at 4:51 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I fiddled around a bit and got the daytrader streamer app client to
> work on trunk (except I might have broker the update timer).
> However, to do this I had to add code so the main method doesn't
> return until the app exits: otherwise it returns and our app client
> container shuts down the kernel.
>
> How do standalone swing apps work?  Do the main methods return more
> or less immediately or do they block somehow or get used somehow
> until the app is ready to close?
>
> If they return immediately can anyone suggest a way to detect that
> the app has exited so we can stop the kernel and exit the container?
>
> hoping someone somewhere has written a swing app :-)

I have in a former life.  It's the same as server software -- when
there are nothing but daemon threads left, you exit.  Some people
keep the main method alive (as that thread is not a daemon thread).
Some people launch off another non-daemon thread and let main return.

I know I'm telling you things you already know, so I guess my
question is what's wrong with using the finalize method to stop the
kernel and exit the container?

-David