geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Guillaume Nodet" <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Car plugin
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:22:40 GMT
On 8/22/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think any problem with the deployer can be avoided by specifying the
> > > correct set of dependencies and configuration info in the project POM
> > > (to force it to use only 1.1 JARs/CARs and the 1.1 deployer GBean).
> > > But if any of the kernel/system interfaces changed, that would
> > > probably stop working.
> >
> > Actually, that' s the main problem.
>
> I'm not convinced.  If I understand this correctly, you got a problem
> when the G 1.2 service builder attempted to do something with a G 1.1
> deployment plan.  I think you can avoid the 1.2 service builder being
> invoked by listing all the 1.1 dependencies explicitly.  Is that not
> what's going on?

The problem is very simple.  That processed plan begins with
<module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">
 <environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">

which is rejected when deployed on G 1.1.
Btw, it really sounds weird that the plugin process the environment tag, but not
the module tag...
My fix is to allow specifying the target geronimo version, so that the plugin
will build the namespace uri dynamically: URI_PREFIX + 1.2. This works.

What I meant, is that I' m not convinced that the API will never change and
that a single plugin will be able to handle all versions in the future.
This is already the case for the schema which are upgraded by default, even
if no change happen (I do not argue against that, just stating the fact).  But
if something change, the plugin will need to cope with the difference.
Is that what we want ?

Also, I think it would be good to be able to release the plugin without having
to wait for G 1.2 final, so that users can build G 1.1 plugins easily.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet