geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Guillaume Nodet" <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 08:37:27 GMT
> PROPOSAL:
>
> 1.  Each spec will no longer be split up into trunk+branches+tags.
> There will instead be one trunk+branches+tags for all specs laid out
> as follows:
>
>      specs/trunk/pom.xml
>      specs/trunk/<artifactId>
>      specs/tags/<artifactId>-<version>
>      specs/branches/

I guess I missed something, but what's the difference compared to the
current layout ?  This only affect the tags, right ?

+1

> 2.  Each plugin will continue to have its own version and will be
> released independently.

+1

> 3.  The top-level will have it's own version, which will remain
> independent.  When there is a major configuration change in that pom,
> the version will be changed and the pom will be republished.

+1

> 4.  Releasing will be done with the maven release plugin ('mvn
> release') and should occur at a stable point after any major change
> to a spec module.

Currently, the release process is to publish a candidate release, test it,
and once approved, move the *same* binaries to the distribution site.
Using the maven release plugin means that we will vote on a SNAPSHOT
and that plugin will upload new binaries with the release version.
Is that really what's wanted ?

> 5. Change all module directories to match artifactIds.

+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet