geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From ian.d.stew...@jpmchase.com
Subject Re: Car plugin
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:31:47 GMT
If the only difference is the target version of the build, I'm not seeing a
need to fork.  You should be able to use profiles
(http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html)
to specify version-specific dependencies without the need to modify the
source.  I see this as being analagous to building with different JDK
versions.

I apologize if there is something I'm missing that makes this more complex
than it seems.

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you're not

Ian D. Stewart
Distributed Computing Engineer II
DSS eCommerce Engineering
Phone: (614) 244-2564

             "Guillaume Nodet"
             <gnodet@gmail.com
                                       dev@geronimo.apache.org
             08/22/2006 10:08                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Car plugin
             Please respond to
             dev@geronimo.apac
                  he.org

On 8/22/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> > I'm not sure anyone thought of this use case: I certainly didn't.
> > Did you find that a small change makes the trunk car plugin work with
> > 1.1?  If so I'm certainly willing to consider trying to maintain
> > compatibility.
>
> They certainly have -- I've asked about this before.  I specifically
> asked to have a working car-maven-plugin along with any reuqired G
> libs saved as a new version so we could refer to that version
> eternally and not have to worry about upgrades causing problems.
> Jason said he couldn't do it but he was going to publish a new
> snapshot...
>
> > We could also maybe put a tiny m2 project in branches/1.1 with a
> > version of this plugin that works with 1.1
>
> I think the problem is not so much the plugin itself, as the fact that
> the plugin is built against G 1.2 JARs (for the kernel and system
> modules, etc.).

Yeah, I know, but is there any other way to deal with that, but forking
the plugin and build one version against G 1.1 jars ?

> I think any problem with the deployer can be avoided by specifying the
> correct set of dependencies and configuration info in the project POM
> (to force it to use only 1.1 JARs/CARs and the 1.1 deployer GBean).
> But if any of the kernel/system interfaces changed, that would
> probably stop working.

Actually, that' s the main problem.

Maybe it would be wiser to fork it.
This would also allow to release one version of the m2 plugin for 1.1 asap.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,