geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject JPA plugin (was Re: Java 1.4 and JEE 5)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:26:46 GMT
On Aug 8, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On 8/8/06, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com> wrote:
>> I'm hacking away at some way to allow people to use OpenJPA in their
>> apps -- don't know how that will turnout just yet -- and was thinking
>> a plugin would be best for that as it wouldn't force Geronimo to go
>> JDK 1.5.

> We're working on a plugin that adds JPA support to web apps (assuming
> you started Geronimo in Java 5).  If you can help with the OpenJPA
> provider, that would be great.  I think there should be something to
> show for this soon.  I'm eagerly awating Jason's fix to the
> car-maven-plugin so we can pop a plugin out of a Maven build.  :)

What approach are you taking to get this done?   I was thinking to do
App-managed EntityManagers, the EntityManagerFactories looked up
through JNDI, and available to both web apps and ejbs.

You make a note about working on an OpenJPA provider, which makes me
wonder.  The way a JPA provider is plugged in is standard, so you
shouldn't need to write support for a particular provider.  Any
details on why that would be required in the code you're working on?

Regardless, I'm glad I'm not the only one working on this :)

-David