geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Restructuring trunk, then next steps
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:02:17 GMT
On Aug 31, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we keep things simple and eliminate
> redundancy where possible.  I'd also like to keep things as brief
> as possible to prevent current or future issues with the windows
> pathlength issue.  I don't think the proposed changes will cause
> immediate problems but I'd like to prevent/reduce the possibility
> of problems.

<rant>
I really, really, really don't like to be restricted by the
limitations of a certain lame operating system... in fact it fills me
with rage.  If windows still had 8.3 file name limitations... would
we have to make ever class conform to that naming system?!  Windows
is also case insensitive, so should we use all UPPER CASE FILES TO
AVOID conflicting files?  Windows stuff crashed all of the time... do
we add some hooks to cause the server to crash just to fit in?!?

I am sorry your OS is retarded... but I see no reason to design the
build structure based on its limitations... especially if a different
layout make more sense to group logical modules together.
</rant>

> Do I understand correctly that with this proposal what is currently
> "modules/geronimo-j2ee-builder" would become
> "system/geronimo-j2ee/geronimo-j2ee-builder"
> .... and what is currently
> "modules/geronimo-j2ee" would become
> "system/geronimo-j2ee/geronimo-j2ee"?
> If so, then I think we are introducing some unnecessary redundancy
> once again.

No, we would not end up with system/geronimo-j2ee/geronimo-j2ee.  As
I mentioned this was a "crude stab" meaning that I did not take much
time to clean up, just put out the basic high level organization
groups and filled in the current modules.

> BTW, do I understand correctly that you're proposing the removal of
> "modules" or is this presumed to be prior to each of the new names?

Yes, modules is to be removed.

> I wondering if it might be better to have more types and less
> subtypes (perhaps deciding to have only a single collection of
> types with no subtypes at all).  Perhaps something like:
>
> builders/  (not sure yet if I like this myself :-) )
>     geronimo-j2ee-builder
>     geronimo-service-builder
>     geronimo-axis-builder
>     geronimo-tomcat-builder
>     geronimo-jetty-builder
>     geronimo-security-builder
>     geronimo-service-builder
>     geronimo-connector-builder
>     geronimo-naming-builder
>     geronimo-client-builder
>     geronimo-j2ee-builder
>     geronimo-web-builder

I had thought about grouping the builders together... though I'm
still drawn about if these should be closer to their code modules or
not.  Generally I'd like to have all of the tomcat integration code
together, all the jetty code together and so on...

--jason