geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Specs organization, versioning, and releasing
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:25:23 GMT
On Aug 28, 2006, at 5:50 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> I don't think that using version ranges really helps make anything
> easier or simpler.

Regardless of the layout we choose, we should be encouraging our
users to specify the spec version using a version range, because if
we are releasing a new version, it generally means we are fixing a
spec compliancy problem.  Spec compliancy is a serious issue and we
should be doing our best to make sure our users get the fixes
quickly.  I also think we should be using them internally in our poms
for the same reason, so that as people add dependencies on our specs
to their projects they don't get into incompatible situations where
one of their dependency is using version 1.0.1 and some other
dependency is using version 1.0.3.  Version ranges will make
everyone's life easier.

-dain