geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMO-2324
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:39:49 GMT

On Aug 17, 2006, at 11:46 AM, System Architect wrote:

> I feel strongly that is should be stated:
>
> Testing is not a "relatively specific use case" but a natural stage
> in a lifecycle of an application. You cannot grow into an adult
> without being a kid first. And how well one were treated as a
> child, how much warmth one received from parents - defines the
> adulthood success or failure. This - unmodified - applies to any
> complex program.
>
> "Testing and dubugging" mode is a first class citizen of an
> application server and should be treated as such.
>
> But Ian made a good point - we don't always want test facilities
> being available in production environment. And because they are IDE
> specific - maybe they belong to the IDE adapter? Sort of modified
> SharedLib GBean installed by IDE integration.

Yes this is certainly a good point.  A modified SharedLib GBean is a
good idea, but keep in mind that you would not want to change your
application's deployment plan to reference this modified sharedlib
and keep the existing dependency as-is.  If this is possible, then
its certainly something to look into.

> And then - the resolver, when looking for resources, asks this bean
> first before going to startdard Geronimo classloaders? This bean -
> in turn - maintains a pool of classloaders to dynamically supply
> IDE resources to other - IDE based - applications?

Modifying the classloaders is something kind of what we tried last
release, but it only solved very minimal set of cases and thus
quickly discovered its not a runtime issue, its a build time issue.
The builders themselves need to be changed, when the configuration is
built up.

> [...]
> DSS eCommerce Engineering
> JPMorganChase Global Technology Infrastructure
> Phone: (614) 244-2564
>

>              Sachin Patel
>              <sppatel2@gmail.c
>
> om>                                                        To
>              Sent by: Sachin           dev@geronimo.apache.org
>
> Patel                                                      cc
>              < sppatel@gmail.co
>              m>
> Subject
>                                        GERONIMO-2324
>
>              08/17/2006 08:06
>              AM
>

>              Please respond to
>              dev@geronimo.apac
>                   he.org
>

> So does anyone have any ideas on an agreeable solution to this JIRA? I
> don't think David's comments in the JIRA as an alternate solution
> don't
> fully address the problem.
>
> (1) Need to be able to provide external individual jar entries to the
> shared library
> (2) Need to be able to add additional external classes folder to
> the shared
> library
> (3) Do both without having to modify the server config which
> requires a
> server restart, which needs to be avoided. At worst case the shared
> lib
> config should need to be recycled.
>
> This again I must stress, is a development time scenario to be able to
> treat Geronimo as a "test environment". I understand the
> implications of
> doing this, and agree that this should not be an in-production
> feature that
> we should be promoting. But in order to improve our tooling
> integration
> with the runtime, we must start putting in features that may not
> necessarily make sense from a pure runtime perspective but
> certainly does
> from a development standpoint.
>
> Input appreciated.
>
> -sachin

> confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
> any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
> defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
> received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
> ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
> JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
> applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
> If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
> contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,
> whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

-sachin