geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Remove server-environment from app client
Date Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:59:34 GMT
On Aug 6, 2006, at 12:15 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> Currently, the application client plan has both a client-environment
>> and a server-environment.  These can have separate module IDs and
>> separate classpath modifiers.
>>
>> The client-environment is used for when you run the application
>> client
>> in the application client container (which is essentially a
>> stripped-down Geronimo runtime).
>>
>> The server-environment is used to create a JSR-77 GBean representing
>> the application client, on the server side.  That is, the module
>> ID is
>> used as part of the GBean name for the JSR-77 GBean, and the class
>> path is used to run the JSR-77 GBean.  There was apparently some
>> thought that the client might be able to list GBeans that should run
>> on the server side using that class path and module ID as well, but
>> that was never implemented.
>>
>> So here are my claims:
>> * There's no need to have different module IDs on the client side and
>> server side.  The JSR-77 GBean and app client container GBeans could
>> all use the same module ID for GBeans associated with the same app
>> client.
>
> Thinking about it some more I think the problem is that for a
> standalone app client, you would get two modules with the same
> module id: one is the server jsr-77 gbean and the other is the
> actual app client module.  I think we ran into this problem and
> that is one reason there is the server-environment.

Thinking back, we introduced the server side app client module
because we were planning on allowing server side resources to be
allocated for an app client program.  At first this was just a server
side JNDI, but later we removed this due to it's complexity, and now
I don't think anything uses the server side module.  So, if someone
wanted to do the work, we should be able to remove it completely, and
avoid the conflict entirely.

-dain