geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMO-2324
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:15:21 GMT

On Aug 17, 2006, at 1:04 PM, System Architect wrote:

> On 8/17/06, Sachin Patel <sppatel2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Aug 17, 2006, at 11:46 AM, System Architect wrote:
>
>> I feel strongly that is should be stated:
>>
>> Testing is not a "relatively specific use case" but a natural
>> stage in a lifecycle of an application. You cannot grow into an
>> adult without being a kid first. And how well one were treated as
>> a child, how much warmth one received from parents - defines the
>> adulthood success or failure. This - unmodified - applies to any
>> complex program.
>>
>> "Testing and dubugging" mode is a first class citizen of an
>> application server and should be treated as such.
>>
>> But Ian made a good point - we don't always want test facilities
>> being available in production environment. And because they are
>> IDE specific - maybe they belong to the IDE adapter? Sort of
>> modified SharedLib GBean installed by IDE integration.
>
> Yes this is certainly a good point.  A modified SharedLib GBean is
> a good idea, but keep in mind that you would not want to change
> your application's deployment plan to reference this modified
> sharedlib and keep the existing dependency as-is.  If this is
> possible, then its certainly something to look into.
>
> Reference is just a name. What's deployed under that name - it
> could be the same SharedLib bean but with, possibly, another
> parameter, telling it to be more promiscuous. So IDE adapter can
> take control over it and manipulate it's bahavior?
>
>> And then - the resolver, when looking for resources, asks this
>> bean first before going to startdard Geronimo classloaders? This
>> bean - in turn - maintains a pool of classloaders to dynamically
>> supply IDE resources to other - IDE based - applications?
>
> Modifying the classloaders is something kind of what we tried last
> release, but it only solved very minimal set of cases and thus
> quickly discovered its not a runtime issue, its a build time
> issue.  The builders themselves need to be changed, when the
> configuration is built up.
>
> And SharedLib is one of those builders?

No shared lib is not a builder just a simple Gbean.  Some examples of
the builders we have are EARConfigBuilder, TomcatBuilder,
JettyBuilder connectorbuilder, , etc.. IIUC the deployment process is
namespace driven and based on the content of your plan the
appropriate builders get visited to build up the configuration.
These individual builders locate process the contents of the
application they are interested in.

> [...]
>>

>>              Sachin Patel
>>              < sppatel2@gmail.c
>>
>> om>                                                        To
>>              Sent by: Sachin           dev@geronimo.apache.org
>>
>> Patel                                                      cc
>>              < sppatel@gmail.co
>>              m>
>> Subject
>>                                        GERONIMO-2324
>>
>>              08/17/2006 08:06
>>              AM
>>

>>              Please respond to
>>              dev@geronimo.apac
>>                    he.org
>>

>> So does anyone have any ideas on an agreeable solution to this
>> JIRA? I
>> don't think David's comments in the JIRA as an alternate solution
>> don't
>> fully address the problem.
>>
>> (1) Need to be able to provide external individual jar entries to the
>> shared library
>> (2) Need to be able to add additional external classes folder to
>> the shared
>> library
>> (3) Do both without having to modify the server config which
>> requires a
>> server restart, which needs to be avoided. At worst case the
>> shared lib
>> config should need to be recycled.
>>
>> This again I must stress, is a development time scenario to be
>> able to
>> treat Geronimo as a "test environment". I understand the
>> implications of
>> doing this, and agree that this should not be an in-production
>> feature that
>> we should be promoting. But in order to improve our tooling
>> integration
>> with the runtime, we must start putting in features that may not
>> necessarily make sense from a pure runtime perspective but
>> certainly does
>> from a development standpoint.
>>
>> Input appreciated.
>>
>> -sachin

>> This transmission may contain information that is privileged,
>> confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
>> under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
>> are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
>> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
>> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
>> any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
>> defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
>> received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
>> ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
>> JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
>> applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
>> If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
>> contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,
>> whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

-sachin