geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMO-1526
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:13:49 GMT
On Aug 21, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2006, at 4:31 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Thanks.  I have a few questions/issues...
>>
>> Why the separation between resources and classes.  Don't we need
>> to add both to the class loader anyway?  I'm curious when this
>> differentiation is important.
>
> Ok, This is where I value your input.  There could be definitely a
> distinction from a tools perspective, as the java output folder
> could only contain .class files and not resources and metadata.
> From a server runtime perspective I wasn't 100% sure as Looking at
> AbstractWebModuleBuilder.installModule(...), resources are added to
> the module context either via addFile(), addInclude() and
> addToClasspath().  So I assume addFile() and addInclude() also adds
> these to the classloader?  If there does not need to be a
> separation then yes, we can combine both methods.

I think I see the disconnect.  When I hear the word resources, I
think of additional non-class files available via the class loader,
but they all end up in the class loader bucket.  In the case of a web
application, we have two buckets: the class loader and the web app
context.  The former is the same for all modules, and the latter
contains files that are accessible via http.

If that is the case, I think we need to keep the separation, but I'm
not sure "resource" is the best name given the level of confusion we
have already seen.

-dain