geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@apache.org>
Subject Merge fix for GERONIMO-2305 into 1.1.1?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 23:36:02 GMT
I'm not quite sure where the 1.1.1 release is, so I'm asking if we
should merge in dain's fix for g-2305.

The problem is that if you get a resource url from our classloader
for something in the app

URL url = cl.getResource("file1.xml");

and then try to use that url to construct a related url:

URL url2 = new URL(url, "somethingelse.xml");

the second url doesn't work because we put a UrlStreamHandler in the
first url that only works with that first url, and the url
constructor used for url2 uses that same UrlStreamHandler.

The fix is to make the UrlStreamHandler work for any path into the
same jar, and use normal mechanisms for paths outside the jar.

This breaks trinidad (part of myfaces IIUC) and seems like a fairly
serious error.  IMO there is extremely little danger of the fix
breaking anything that used to work, since the code path that is
changed used to throw an exception.  The fix does allow the user's
sample app to work.

I'm leaning towards recommending adding it to 1.1.1.

thanks
david jencks