geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Independently version transaction and connector
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:31:56 GMT
On Aug 10, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I wanted to get a general sense before discussing the details,
> since there would be no point if were against independent
> versioning.  I was thinking we should put each them in a tree which
> is a peer to Geronimo trunk.  I also think we should generally only
> use released versions of the jars in Geronimo (i.e., no snapshots)
> for two reasons 1) it is much easier to maintain from a build
> perspective and 2) is will push us to do more frequent releases of
> them.

I don't think that #1 is really a valid reason... IMO that is.  The
more trees you have to build and the more version numbers you have to
manage is inherently more complex and thus harder to maintain from a
build perspective.  The only way it might scale is if we can:

  a) automate the entire process of multi-tree building and
configuration version updates

  b) reduce the frequency of change in the decoupled components, thus
reducing the need to build or reversion

(a) is a bit of work to put some more magic (and complexity) into
Maven2... (b) seems to be negated by your #2 to push out more
frequent releases... :-\

  * * *

I'd still like to see the split up happen... but I am still really
concerned about the granularity.

--jason