geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 1.1.1 Status - XSD and DTD issues
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:51:36 GMT

On Aug 18, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> All,
>
> For those wondering where the Geronimo 1.1.1 release is at here is
> a quick summary and battle plan.
>
> John Sisson discovered that we have several DTD and XSDs included
> in our build that are copies of Sun's original material.  The
> copyright in the material seems to indicate that we cannot
> redistribute the content.  Unfortunately, as Geir has pointed out,
> that there is no clear way to interpret the license and we should
> manually generate these to stay legal and avoid any appearance of
> impropriety.
>
> The documents in question reside in both the distribution of the
> source as well as the server itself.  It appears that other open
> source and commercial vendors do distribute these documents in
> their original form but the ASF does not have a clear indication
> that we can follow this same practice.  You can find the documents
> in $G_BUILD_TREE/modules/j2ee-schema/src/* as well as the
> distributions in $G_DIST/schema/* directories.
>
> The documents are identified in JIRA http://issues.apache.org/jira/
> browse/GERONIMO-2307.
>
> I'd like to ask anyone that has some spare moments to help out with
> putting these together. Basically, you need to refer to the
> appropriate specification and type in the XML exactly like it is
> represented for actual elements and either omit or paraphrase the
> information embedded in comments so we do not violate Sun's copyright.
>
> I know this is frustrating but for their own reasons Sun has
> imposed this unfriendly copyright and we need to abide by it.  We
> are protecting The ASF, Geronimo and our users.
>
> If you are working on a document please update the above JIRA to
> indicate it is partial so others can see what remains.  Please
> check the new schemas into their respective replacements.  When the
> replacements are complete we'll build a new distribution and run it
> through a full CTS test to validate our work.
>
> Please also consider working with a partner so you can cross check
> each other's work.
>
> Thanks in advance for your patience and help with this important
> issue.
>
> Also, if others have input into the process that I have missed
> please provide it as well.
>
> Thanks to John and Geir for discovering and mediating on this issue.

I wrote some code that compares xml documents for identical content
that's in several xmlbeans related tests.  I'll look into write a
test class that:

1. checks that you are online
2. if so, checks that each of our j2ee 1.4 schemas match the ones
available from the sun web site http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/
j2ee_1_4.xsd (etc)

I'll have to modify the code a bit so it ignores differenences
between documentation.

This won't help for the earlier dtds.

Also, I think we should include in our versions the link to the sun
website on which the fully commented versions are available.

thanks
david jencks