geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: bootstrap.bat for windows users
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:45:34 GMT
It is not just about maintenance... I can 99% guarantee that the
shell script will work as expected, and that when people run it, that
it will perform the same as it does on my systems.

I can't say the same for a batch file.  The point of bootstrap was to
provide that level of reliability and assurance that everyone is
running through the same steps, so we can be sure that at the very
minimum we have a tree that can always be built from source.

I really do not recommend that we change this now by adding a new
path for users to run through...  I can see it now, users posting
problems about failed builds, and me asking oh which bootstrap did
you use?  Oh, I can't really test to see your problem, can you please
use the shell script.... blah blah blah.

Bootstrap can be removed as soon as our artifacts, the spec artifacts
and openejb artifacts are being regularly published.  Still waiting
on m2 2.0.5 to fix some problems as well, but if needed I can bring
the simple build script back (which has a unix and windows flavor
that I am willing to support as it is very simple).  And hopefully as
soon as 2.0.5 is out, we won't need that either.

  * * *

I would much, much, much rather that windows developers install Cygwin.

--jason